Media and religion
|Specialization of:||Theology & Religious Studies|
|Title:||MA Theology & Religious Studies|
The media bombard us with reports on clashes between different religions and faith-based cultures. Across the globe, religion holds sway over the public debate and the worldwide growth of Islam carries huge political significance. But religion is also part of popular culture. New forms of spirituality are finding their way in society alongside age-old religious traditions.
The Master’s specialization in Media enables you to reflect critically on the media’s role in constructing everyday images of social and cultural reality, religion and identity. You will analyse the influence of digital media on established religions, their institutions, communities and individual followers. You will consider the effect on the public debate and government policy. You will also see how religious movements and groups use the media to publicize their vision and bring the sacred to life in images, sound and words. Important ethical questions arise involving our information society and freedom of expression, religion and privacy.
- Language of instruction:English
- Duration:1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time)
- Tuition fee:
- Application deadline:1 June for Dutch students. 1 April for EU and non-EU students. EU students with an international degree who do not need housing services through VU University Amsterdam can still apply until 1 June.
- Start date:1 September
- Study type:Part-time, Full-time
- Field of Interest:Religion and Philosophy
- Specializations:specialization of Theology & Religious Studies (1 year)