Application procedure for students with a Dutch degree
The Admission Board starts reviewing applications and accepting students in January, and continues to do so until all available places are filled. Therefore, early application is strongly advised.
Step 1 - Register via Studielink
First of all students will need to register through Studielink. You can find more information on (re-)registration here and on the payment of tuition fees here. The deadline for registration through Studielink is set to 1 June 2014. Please note that registration through Studielink on time is mandatory in order to be registered at VU University Amsterdam. If you are not registered at VU University before the deadline of 1 June 2014 you cannot participate in the master’s programme International Crimes and Criminology.
Step 2 – Upload your application documents onto VUnet before 1 June 2014
After having completed you registration for the programme on Studielink you will be directed to VU University’s student portal VUnet via an email. On VUnet you can complete your application. As this concerns a selective Master programme, you are asked to upload a number of documents that are required for us to make a decision on whether or not you can be admitted. We will need a complete application before we can start processing your application.
List of required documents:
1. a certified copy of the appropriate academic degree in English or Dutch or if not yet graduated: a declaration from your home university with an expected graduation date (if available);
2. a certified transcript in English;
3. a curriculum vitae;
4. a one-page letter of motivation;
5. a proof of academic writing: a maximum of three pages of a final paper or thesis for the academic degree which has been obtained (or any other paper in English that has been written for studies);
6. letters of recommendation from two academic referees. If possible including the ranking position of the student (i.e. whether students belong to the top 1, 5, 10, 25 or 50% of the entire class);
7. a proof of proficiency inEnglish (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge). An Institutional TOEFL test done via VU language centre is also accepted. Please note that the final deadline to hand in your proof of proficiency is August 31st.
8. a copy of a passport;
9. a course descriptions (list of most relevant courses that your bachelor studies consisted of);
10. a literature list or bibliography (list of most relevant books and articles used during your bachelor studies);
11. a copy of a residence permit (if applicable).
Please note: Documents 8 to 11 are not applicable to students already studying at VU University.
No decisions on admission can be made by the Admission Board, until VU University Amsterdam has received all your supporting documents within the deadline of 1 June 2014. (with the exception of a certified copy academic degree and proof of proficiency in English).
If you have any questions regarding the application for this master’s programme, please contact the Admission Officer.