Blackboard is a 'digital learning environment' with various resources to support the university's courses and programmes. Each course or department can create its own webpage on which staff can post messages, presentations, assignments, articles, photos and other material related to the coursework. Blackboard also enables users to set up a discussion forum, submit a finished assignment, e-mail fellow students and take online assessments. Blackboard can be accessed from any computer with internet access using your VU-net-id and password.
The web address of Blackboard is bb.vu.nl. To log on as a VU student you will need a username (VU-net-id) and password. (Contract students and guest teachers must first ask the student secretariat of the faculty to create an account.)
To log in to a Blackboard course webpage for the first time:
- go to bb.vu.nl
- log in using your VU-net-id and password (which will be sent by post to new students at their home address before the start of the academic year)
- click on 'Courses' at the top of the page
- click on the name of your faculty
- click on the appropriate department or course folder
- click on 'Enrol'. Having completed the required information, click on 'Submit'.
Next time you log in, your course webpage will appear as your home page ('My Blackboard'). Course pages which are no longer valid are automatically removed from the site at the beginning of the academic year. If you wish, you can 'hide' your courses by clicking on the pencil symbol at the top right of the page (in the 'My Courses' toolbar.
Forgotten your VU-net-id or password?
Go to VU-net-id
Further information about Blackboard
Blackboard includes a 'Support' button. Click on it to access the FAQs and user manuals.