- +31 20 59 89068
- [email protected]
- student- & onderwijszaken ( international office )
- Director of the Centre for International Cooperation/Senior Advisor Management and Organization in Higher Education
KEY QUALIFICATIONS/ FIELD OF EXPERTISE
- Project management
- Institutional development
- Change management
- Process consultancy
- Leadership development
- Research capacity building
- Project reviews/evaluation studies
Summary of work experience
Dr Henk van den Heuvel has broad experience in international cooperation and in international Higher Education, in particular in developing contexts. He was trained as a political scientist with a specialisation in International Relations at Radboud University (Nijmegen). In 2008 he obtained his PhD degree in organisation sciences from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. For the last 20 years Henk has been involved in projects mainly in southern and eastern Africa and South (East) Asia – both as project manager, team leader and/or content specialist, of which the past 10 years particularly in Higher Education. He has gained a thorough understanding of the functioning of universities and of challenges and opportunities regarding institutional transformation. At Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam he is co-teaching an Honours course in International Development and a Bridging course on Academic Competences to international PhD students.
In addition to project management, process consultancy and training, Henk has conducted several project reviews and evaluations. For example, in 2013 he was the team leader of an End-Term Evaluation of the project ‘Stimulating a culture of scientific and technological excellence in Africa’ funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Amongst others, the Kenya National Academy of Sciences (KNAS) and the African Academy of Sciences (AAS), both based in Nairobi, were evaluated.
In 2014 he was the co-reviewer of the POHE project, Strengthening Profession Oriented Higher Education in Vietnam (NICHE/VNM/103). Between 2015 and 2016 he completed two assignments for INCLUDE Knowledge Platform on Inclusive Development Policies in the Netherlands.
Since January 2018 Henk serves on the board of the Platform on International Education (PIE) in The Netherlands (www.pieonline.nl).
ACP Region (Kenya and South Africa)
- Creating Postgraduate Collaborations
- Justice Capacity Building (JCB) in Ethiopia
- Excellence in Science & technology (ExiST) in Ethiopia
- JUST: Justice for All through University and Professional Sustainable Service Delivery, Teaching and Training
- Enhancing Postgraduate Environments (EPE) in South Africa
- Breaking cycles of violence: strengthening the capacity of a local Congolese NGO in Implementing, monitoring and evaluating community-based sociotherapy in North Kivu
- Promoting community dialogue in the context of conflict: strengthening the capacity of a local Congolese NGO in organisational development, gender mainstreaming and monitoring and evaluating community-based sociotherapy in South Kivu
- Train the Trainer – Good Governance as a Tool for Building a Resilient Health System and Advancing Rights in Nigeria
Honours course International Development (second semester)
Bridging course Academic Competences to international PhD students (first semester)