VU Amsterdam is strongly committed to careful treatment of research data. The responsibilities with respect to Research Data Management within the VU Amsterdam are formulated as follows:
1. Researchers are responsible for compliance with legal and ethical requirements regarding their research data, including review by ethics committees if necessary.
2. Researchers are responsible for ensuring that their research data are reliable, traceable and securely stored throughout the data life cycle.
3. Researchers are responsible for the archival of their research data for a minimum of ten years from the date of publication, unless legal requirements dictate otherwise.
4. Researchers are responsible for being able to share their research data for scientific use and verification, unless legal provisions prevent this.
5. Researchers who collect and process personal data in their research must notify the Data Protection Officer (DPO) of VU Amsterdam (email@example.com). This is a legal obligation imposed by the Personal Data Protection Act.
6. Department heads are responsible for making arrangements with researchers about managing their research data in the event of termination of their employment at VU Amsterdam.
7. Faculties establish their own Research Data Management policies which cover all their departments and institutes, including, where necessary, discipline-specific protocols.
8. The deans annually account for their faculties’ Research Data Management policies at the PO meeting.
9. The university is responsible for providing basic research data management facilities.
10. The university is responsible for providing research data management training, support and advice to researchers.
For more information about the support services relating to data management and data archiving, researchers at VU Amsterdam can consult the Research Data theme website at VUnet.