Fulbright scholarship for study in the US

Andrea Goezinne Andrea Goezinne followed the research master in Social Psychology at the VU University, and thanks to grants from the Fulbright Center, the VSBfonds, the Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds, HSP Talentenprogramma, and two interest-free loans from Genootschap Noorthey and the Vreedefonds, was able to study a Master in Public Policy at Brown University in the United States

Please note - this scholarship is primarily intended for Dutch students (see nationality requirements below) who wish to study in the US.

Eligibility for the Fulbright scholarship

Studends in the final phase of their study (bachelor or master) or (recent) graduates can apply for this scholarship for graduate study in the US. These scholarships are not intended for graduation research projects or for internships.

Scholarship amount

The scholarship received is based upon your requirements, but will not be more than US $12500. If you need less than this, less will be awarded. If you need more than this (which will often be the case), then you can apply for more money from other sources, such as the VSBfonds and the Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds. Being awarded these grants does not affect your chances of receiving the Fulbright scholarship, unless the total amount received exceeds your expenditure. The scholarship is paid out for a maximum of 12 months.


  • You must be able to demonstrate good study results.
  • You must show that you have been accepted for graduate study at an American university.
  • Your CV must show that you have taken part in extra-curricular activities during your studies.
  • You must have Dutch nationality. Applicants who have lived in the Netherlands for a long time, and do not have Dutch nationality, must have lived there for at least 5 consecutive years, and have obtained a diploma from a Dutch secondary school where Dutch was the language of instruction, in order to be considered for the scholarship.
  • You must have good results for the TOEFL test.

After completing your study in the US

After completing your studies (which can last longer than the period for which you are awarded the scholarship), you must return to the Netherlands. If you have received a Fulbright scholarship, you cannot receive a US visa for study or work for a period of two years. This does not prevent a visit as a tourist. With a Fulbright scholarship, it is not possible to apply for another type of visa in order to avoid this condition.

More information