Visa/residence permit

Visa and residence permit

When you are a citizen of a non-EU country, you need to complete the immigration procedure before you can start your studies at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. So it is very important to have that matter settled! Luckily our International Office at VU Amsterdam will apply for the required immigration documents on your behalf.

On this website you will find all the information you need in order to complete it smoothly. Therefore please read the website carefully for it contains very important information.


There are two types of immigration procedures:

  • Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure

Which procedure applies to you depends on your nationality. Please check the Frequently Used Terms and Frequently Asked Questions below for more information about the difference between a visa and residence permit. In the overview below, you can see the procedure that applies to you. When you click on the link of the procedure you need to follow, you will be redirected to the page containing all relevant information with regards to the procedure and the required documents.

Country of origin
Required procedure
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City State
Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • All other non-EU countries

Long stay entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • All other non-EU countries but in possession of valid residence permit of another Schengen country

Residence permit (VVR) procedure
  • All EU countries
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

No procedure required


Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam will apply for a visa and/or residence permit when you have been (conditionally) admitted. First, you need to confirm your participation in the Exchange programme in VUnet before you can upload your documents in VUnet. The visa/residence permit application procedure will open in VUnet on 15 October 2018 for the Spring Semester 2019. Please note that it is not possible to apply for a visa and/or residence permit before 15 October 2018. The deadline for completing the visa and/or residence permit application procedure is 1 December (second semester). The application procedure takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks. In order to apply for a visa and/or residence permit, you need to upload some documents in VUnet. Please check above under the procedure applicable to you, what documents you need to upload and the requirements they need to meet.


The IND checks the applications of citizens from Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh more thoroughly. As a result, the timeline as outlined above is not applicable to you when you are a citizen of one of these countries. Please note that the IND takes three months to make their decision when you are a citizen from Bangladesh, Nepal or Pakistan. Therefore it is advisable to complete the procedure well in time; otherwise you may not receive your entry visa in time for the start of the academic year.