Contact the International Office of your home university/faculty to find out if your university maintains a bilateral exchange agreement with VU Amsterdam. Have your International Office send us your nomination for the exchange programme.
- If your university has a bilateral exchange agreement with VU Amsterdam, then go to Step 2 below.
- If your university does not have a bilateral exchange agreement with VU Amsterdam, then go to Other exchange possibilities below.
We expect all exchange students to have an excellent command (both written and verbal) of the English language. If you lack sufficient knowledge of English you will not be accepted as an exchange student at VU Amsterdam.
2. Online application
The deadlines for receiving your nomination are:
- 1 April for the autumn/winter semester (1 September-31 January) or a whole academic year (1 September-July/August)
- 1 October for the spring semester (1 February-July/August)
After we have received the nomination from your home university, we will send you instructions on how to finalize your online application. Application deadlines are as follows:
- 15 April for the autumn/winter semester or a whole academic year
- 15 October for the spring semester
As part of our online application, you are required to upload the following documents:
- Copy of passport/ID
- Passport photo
- Transcript of records
Master's courses requirements
Students wishing to take Bachelor's level courses are not obligated to submit an English proficiency test as proof, however please note that all exchange students are expected to have an advanced level of English language proficiency (TOEFL IBT at least 92; IELTS at least 6.5).
If you wish to take Master’s courses, you are required to upload additional documents, preferably before 1 May (first semester) or 1 November (second semester):
- Bachelor's diploma in the relevant field of study. You are allowed to submit the diploma at a later stage if you have not yet received it. If you have not received your Bachelor's diploma by the time you start classes in Amsterdam, you should present us with a letter from your university indicating that you have in fact graduated before 1 September;
- English proficiency test (see below for minimum requirements).
English language proficiency
If you submit an English proficiency test, please note that VU Amsterdam maintains the following minimum requirements:
- IELTS: 6.5 - note that you must take the Academic test and not the General one!
- TOEFL paper-based test: 580
- TOEFL computer-based test: 237
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A & B
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
(For TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificates, the test must not be older than two years.)
Note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Internships / research projects
Internships or research (thesis) projects do not fall under the exchange programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Nominated exchange students must always either choose a minor programme or follow courses from our exchange study guide. Nominations for internships or research projects will therefore be rejected by our office.
If you wish to perform an internship or research project, you will have to arrange it yourself by finding a supervisor. The supervisor in turn will have to arrange your registration at the university. At the Faculty of Science, you will be registered as a contract student.
You will be accepted as an exchange student only after your programme of study has been approved by the International Office (in consultation with the relevant staff at the faculty). After your acceptance we will start working on your accommodation and visa/residence permit, for which additional documentation is required.
Other exchange possibilities
If your home university does not have a bilateral exchange agreement with VU Amsterdam, we have the following alternative option available to you:
Study Abroad in Amsterdam
You can choose our Study Abroad programme, which consists of the Semester in Amsterdam programme and the Amsterdam Summer School. As the names imply, the Semester in Amsterdam programme offers you the possibility to study at VU Amsterdam for a semester or year, while the Amsterdam Summer School offers courses during the summer.