Contact the International Office of your home university/faculty to find out if your university maintains a bilateral exchange agreement with VU University Amsterdam. Have your International Office send us your nomination for the exchange programme.
- If your university has a bilateral exchange agreement with VU University, then go to Step 2 below.
- If your university does not have a bilateral exchange agreement with VU University, then go to Other exchange possibilities below.
We expect all exchange students to have an excellent command (both written and verbal) of the English language. If you lack sufficient knowledge of English you will not be accepted as an exchange student at VU University.
2. Online application
The deadlines for receiving your nomination are:
- 1 April for the autumn/winter semester (1 September-31 January) or a whole academic year (1 September-July/August)
- 1 October for the spring semester (1 February-July/August)
We will send you instructions on how to finalize your online application. Note that after the nomination, you will have about two weeks to apply online. Application deadlines are as follows:
- 15 April for the autumn/winter semester or a whole academic year
- 15 October for the spring semester
As part of our online application, you are required to upload the following documents:
- Copy of passport/ID
- Passport photo
- Learning agreement
- Transcript of records
Students wishing to take Bachelor's level courses are not obligated to submit an English proficiency test as proof, however please note that all exchange students are expected to have a C1 level of English language proficiency (TOEFL IBT at least 92; IELTS at least 6.5).
If you wish to take Master’s courses, you are required to upload additional documents:
- Bachelor's diploma in the relevant field of study. You are allowed to submit the diploma at a later stage if you have not yet received it. If you have not received your Bachelor's diploma by the time you start classes in Amsterdam, you should present us with a letter from your university indicating that you have in fact graduated before 1 September;
- English proficiency test (see below for minimum requirements). You are allowed to submit the English test at a later stage, however no later than June 1st (for the first semester) or December 1st (for the second semester).
English language proficiency
If you submit an English proficiency test, please note that VU University maintains the following minimum requirements:
- IELTS: 6.5 - note that you must take the Academic test and not the General one!
- TOEFL paper-based test: 580
- TOEFL computer-based test: 237
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A & B
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
(For TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificates, the test must not be older than two years.)
Note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
You will be accepted as an exchange student only after your programme of study has been approved by the International Office (in consultation with the relevant staff at the faculty). After your acceptance we will start working on your accommodation and visa/residence permit, for which additional documentation is required.
Other exchange possibilities
If your home university does not have a bilateral exchange agreement with VU University Amsterdam, there are a few alternatives available to you:
Study Abroad in Amsterdam
One option is to choose our Study Abroad programme, which consists of the Semester in Amsterdam programme and the Amsterdam Summer School. As the names imply, the Semester in Amsterdam programme offers you the possibility to study at VU University Amsterdam for a semester or year, while the Amsterdam Summer School offers courses during the summer.