As a student of VU Amsterdam, you stand to benefit from all the advantages offered by the capital. In just about fifteen minutes, by bike or by tram, you are in the lively centre of Amsterdam. It is virtually unique in having all the advantages of a big city – culture, history, good food, entertainment and extensive public transport – but with relatively few of the drawbacks. The city is small, there are plenty of quiet spots where you can kick back and relax and, thanks to its canals, it has relatively little traffic. Yet, it still has plenty to offer!
Amsterdam is the city of bicycles!
As soon as you set foot in the Dutch capital, there's no escaping them. And why would you want to? Cycling is the perfect way to get around such charming and compact city.
Located at the heart
Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, is located at the heart of the country’s densely populated western provinces, which also include the other major Dutch cities of Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht. Schiphol Airport is only 10 km away and the beaches along the North Sea coastline are within easy reach.
Did you know that:
- English is widely spoken?
- Amsterdam has approximately 800,000 inhabitants?
- Amsterdam has 165 canals and 1,281 bridges, more than even Venice?
- Amsterdam is the largest city in the Netherlands?
- according to Mercer’s 2016 Quality of Life Survey, Amsterdam is ranked 11th worldwide?
- according to The Safe Cities Index 2015, Amsterdam is in the top 5 of the safest cities in the world?
- with almost 92,000 students, Amsterdam is a great and lively place to study?