VU Amsterdam is a leading European research university with over 23,000 students and 3,000 academic staff.
Nine faculties share a single campus and cover a wide spectrum of arts, sciences and medicine. With almost 50 Bachelor’s degree programmes (of which 7 completely English taught) and over 150 Master’s degree programmes (over 100 English taught), VU Amsterdam offers a wide choice of study options.
VU stands for Vrije Universiteit, which translates literally as Free University. VU University was the first university in the Netherlands established in 1880 by Abraham Kuyper, with no interference from the church or the state. This heritage is still very much part of who we are. From the very beginning, the university has determined its own areas of research, created its own study programmes and practised its own didactic methods. The teaching style can be described as student-centered: we stimulate students to develop their own opinion through independent and creative thinking.
Types of programmes
- is consistently listed among the world’s top universities in various rankings;
- is located in one of the most dynamic and fastgrowing business districts in the Netherlands;
- is a modern campus university with student housing just a five-minute bike ride away;
- helps you with housing, visas and the administrative side of studying in the Netherlands;
- offers an international environment. A quarter of the students in our English-taught programmes come from abroad;
- provides high-quality education in small and highly interactive classes;
- is located in lively and multicultural Amsterdam, the city with the largest concentration of students in the Netherlands and where English is the second language;
- is open to all cultures, nationalities and religions.