Academic research is increasingly becoming dependent on external funding. VU and VUmc offer their researchers professional and dedicated support and advice for the acquisition of external public funding. The Grants Desk is one of the key research infrastructure facilities at VU and VUmc.
The Grants Desk has up-to-date knowledge, expertise and capacity to attract appropriate funding for your research and write winning bids. The Grants Desk provides advice on many national and international grant schemes and funds, tailored to the needs of each individual applicant. It supports and guides the entire application process and can help increase your chances of submitting a successful grant application.
One of the major focus points of the Grants Desk is to provide assistance on multi-partner, multidisciplinary research applications, especially those within the EU’s Research and Innovation programme Horizon 2020, but also large national grants such as NWO Zwaartepunt.
Support by the grants desk includes, but is not limited to:
- project definition and scoping
- consortium composition
- strategic advice
- proposal writing and reviewing
The grants desk provides support and advice on investment grants, such as NWO Groot and NWO Middelgroot.
Part of the Grants Desk support consists of providing assistance to researchers taking part in the NWO grant programme Innovational Research Incentives Scheme (i.e. Veni, Vidi, Vici) and in ERC grants (i.e. ERC Starting, Consolidator, and Advanced grants).
A guidance programme is available for researchers in this category, generally consisting of
- information meetings
- workshops on writing a research proposal
- advisory sessions
- presentation training sessions
See the dedicated website for more details and course dates.
Post-grant services / Legal
Legal advisors within the VU/VUmc Grants desk provide legal support on a.o. grant applications, agreements, and research contracts.
Post-grant services / Implementation
Multi-partner projects require a very strict approach to make sure that the grant is compliant to the jungle of rules and regulations, and the optimisation and structuring of grant support.
The Grants desks advices and supports grant holders during the execution phase of the project, by e.g. facilitating a knowledge network for project managers, publishing a handbook for EU projects, and providing specific advice.
Meet the experts
The Grants Desk is located in the Faculty of Medicine's Building. VU and VUmc researcher are always welcome to come by, or make an appointment for a tailored advice session.
- dr. Leo Klomp - Senior Grant advisor Head of the VU/VUmc Grants Desk
- dr. Pim de Boer - Senior grant adviser Deputy head
Consortium grants (Main focus area in italics)
- Linde van Ittersum, MA - Grant adviser VU Social sciences
- dr. Brenda Olivier - Grant adviser VUmc
- dr. Neeltje Peters - Grant adviser Neurosciences
- dr. Joyce Putters - Grant adviser Dedicated CCA adviser
- dr. Maartje de Snoo - Grant adviser dedicated AIMMS adviser & VU Faculty of Science
Personal grants - Support programme
- Marco Last, MA - Grant adviser Alpha, Gamma
- dr. Bart Jordi - Grant adviser Beta, Life sciences
- Marijn van Houten, MA - Project adviser grant contracts
- dr. Edwin Kanters - Implementation officer
- Guido Leerdam, MA - EU adviser Legal Entity Appointed Representative (LEAR), liaison officer for VU
- Jeroen van Leur, LL.M. - Legal adviser
- Gaby Minasian, LL.M. - Legal adviser