BKO course for UvA lecturers (6 days)
<< Back to course overview for UvA lecturers (Dutch)
This course is also available in Dutch.
The Executive Board of the University of Amsterdam wants all teaching staff at the UvA to have a university teaching qualification (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs or BKO). Lecturers with a BKO have proven their teaching competencies to be at a sufficient level for them to adequately carry out the different tasks of UvA lecturer.
The course is intended for beginning, non-Dutch-speaking UvA lecturers, with both teaching and teaching design tasks, who want to obtain their BKO. The course is part of the BKO trajectory and can also be taken in separate modules.
In this course all five competencies are trained: Professional attitude, Designing teaching, Teaching, Supervising students, and Developing and organising teaching.
Among the learning outcomes are:
- You have gained theoretical knowledge underpinning your teaching;
- You have gained insight into the principles of activating teaching;
- You are able to design a class or a part of a module;
- You have gained insight into your strengths and points for development as a lecturer in front of a group;
- You have developed you supervision skills;
- You are able to design an assessment based on the main quality requirements;
- You are able to evaluate and reflect on your teaching practice;
This course deals with all aspects of the academic teaching practice in an interactive and activating way. Some of the key topics of the course are: activating teaching, lesson design, presentation skills, test construction, supervision skills and evaluation.
Sharing knowledge and experiences is an important element in the course. Participants are expected to actively contribute to this. The course adopts a hands-on approach and focuses on the development of concrete skills. This happens through class activities, preparatory assignments and the reading of literature. Preparation time will be on average around 4 to 6 hours per course day, partly depending on your work experience.
- BKO-module 1: Designing teaching
- BKO-module 2: Teaching
- BKO-module 3: Supervising students
- BKO-module 4: Test construction
Prior to the start of the course you will b invited to a 30-minute preliminary interview.
After completion of the course you will receive a course certificate. Procedures for obtaining the BKO depend on the agreements between your faculty or department and the LEARN! Academy. For this please consult your BKO representative.
The UvA has issued a new BKO framework at the start of 2013. More information can be found here (in Dutch).
The six course days take place from 9.30 to 17.00 in Amsterdam.
You can register for the course that will probably start in the autumn of 2018 (provided that we have received a sufficient number of registrations to go ahead with the course). For further details, please contact mr. Ronny Toers Bijns at email@example.com
2017-2018: € 2,250.-
You can register for this course by filling out this registration form.
For (practical) questions, please contact:
Mr. Ronny Toers Bijns
T 020 598 3366 • E firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teaching qualification programme for lecturers in universities of applied sciences
- Senior Teaching Qualification
- Teaching Effectively in English